1 EAGLETON NOTES: The Dunblane Commemoration

.

.

Friday 22 May 2009

The Dunblane Commemoration

The inscription reads: He called a little child to him, set it down in their midst and said, "Hear the truth. Unless your hearts are changed and you become little children, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven at all"


On our travels North CJ and I visited Dunblane between Stirling and Perth in the Scotland . In the Cathedral is a commemoration of the Dunblane Massacre. The Dunblane Massacre was a multiple murder-suicide which occurred at Dunblane Primary School in the Scottish town of Dunblane on 13 March 1996. Sixteen children and one adult were killed by the attacker, Thomas Watt Hamilton, before he committed suicide. It remains the deadliest single targeted mass murder of children in the history of the United Kingdom.

It consists of a Clashach sandstone stone two metres high on a Caithness flagstone inscribed "The Tragedy of Dunblane 1996". It was dedicated on 12 March 2000.

It was indescribably moving and made the events seem like only yesterday .

5 comments:

  1. I've just read your email and yes..that word is the same here in the U.S. :o) but I shall reply to that on my tomorrow morning :o).

    I pray that your sleep is sound and brings you great dreams of truth...

    This is a beautiful and tragic posting today, GB; something that we, well I, in the U.S. have not been aware of. When you mentioned the dedication was made on March 12th, 2000....that was my mother's birhday; once uon a time.

    These are wonderful pillars that hold truth and hope.

    What wonderful travels you are on. I do believe that this path you are on, is the one intended...

    ♥ Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops...I cannot leave without correcting my errors...

    "birthday" and "upon"

    I suppose my fingers were too excited in the commenting :o) and the mind, so much, as to not have proof-read before the giving...

    oh well, right ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unnecessary insanity. It leaves a poignant thickness in the air. I believe that's what you are describing. I have felt like that in several places, including the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial where 168 were killed...around 45 of them children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this so well. It was so very sad. Have been to the cemetery a few times, a very peaceful place.

    On a brighter note welcome home, hope to see you in the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Without you, GB, I would not have seen this commemoration of such a horrid and tragic crime... My son was the same age then that those children were, and I remember, working in the Jobcentre in Ashington, when the news hit of their passing...

    I am grateful to you for letting us see the memorial, as lovely as it is, and one can never know what goes on in the minds of such murderers of the future... Blessings to you, bloggy-wise. x

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.