1 EAGLETON NOTES: Hello God

.

.

Tuesday 9 June 2009

Hello God

Many years ago when I was about 16 years of age I was attending Sunday morning Church service. Which was rather unusual as it happens because my wont was to attend Evensong. Anyway, as I was saying, I was attending morning service or, more accurately, I was waiting for it to begin. Being an Edwards I was, of course, early. You know what Church was like when I was 16. Quiet. Hushed.

A Mum and Dad and small child entered. A voice rang out "Hello God!" Embarrassed parents. Doubtless a few outraged stalwarts of the old school. Mostly bemused members of the congregation. Child duly hushed.

The Vicar came to his sermon. I am paraphrasing "Dearly beloved, I was going to deliver a sermon on the [appropriate Epistle or Collect or Lesson for the day]. Whilst you were waiting for the Service to begin you will all have heard little [Johnny] come into the Church and welcome the Lord with the words "Hello God!" And many of you were horrified that the silence had been broken. But it occurred to me that that is exactly what we should all be doing when we come into Church. We should be saying, as loudly as we can, "Hello God!" So today I am abandoning the sermon that I had prepared and, instead, I shall talk about. Yes, You've guessed it: "Hello God!"."

4 comments:

  1. And an Amen to that little one...and an Amen to the Vicar...and an Amen to you, dear GB, just for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you'd like that one, dear Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. out of the mouths of babes?

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.