1 EAGLETON NOTES: Glasgow Botanic Gardens

.

.

Saturday 4 July 2009

Glasgow Botanic Gardens

On Wednesday a friend and I went to the Glasgow Botanic Gardens to see the Kibble Palace. The last time I had been to the Botanic Gardens was with Andy not long before he died and I've not felt any urge to return. At that time the Kibble Palace wasn't there! No. It's not new either. In 2003 the building, having been on the site since 1873, was dismantled and taken away to be restored at a cost of £7m. Reconstruction on the site took place between April 2005 and November 2006 when it was re-opened to the public. It really is one of the most splendid wrought iron and glass structures that I've seen.


The panorama above is a public domain photo - not mine!

The interior of the main dome.

The collection of plants is impressive and some have been there for 120 years. I am becoming fascinated by the number of times Australasian themes occur everywhere I go. In this case the principal plant collection is Australasian and many were familiar New Zealand plants. I really enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. Seven million well spent for once, you have good eyes, the church steeple in the first image would have been coming right from the cupola had I taken it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrian: From your photos nothing could be less than the truth but had it been unavoidable you have had the program and know-how to edit it out! I haven't edited photos for years. But with all this talent around me these days I'm going to have to do something about that. Soon!

    But in any case I should 'confess' that that photo isn't mine. I can take panoramas but that one is borrowed. Although it is in the public domain I had acknowledged it but when I altered the html for the sizing I lost the acknowledgement and forgot to put it back in. I've remedied that now.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.