1 EAGLETON NOTES: I Go Away For Ten Days And.....

.

.

Friday 2 October 2009

I Go Away For Ten Days And.....

When I get back:

All the birds have gone.  Pat's been feeding them in my absence but there was food left in the feeders this morning and there has been a solitary sparrow - a young male I think - visiting on and off and one solitary outcast rock pigeon.  It (for I know not whether it's a he or a she) has been moping around the base of the feeders all day and didn't even bother to fly off when I went outside the Study door.  Neither did the sparrow but that's not so unusual.  The pigeon is a different colour to all the others and often mopes around here on his own.  Given that he sleeps on the ground with his head tucked under his wing I'm surprised he's lasted as long as he has without a cat getting him.  I've just photographed him and realised that he is probably a racing pigeon and is either lost or has absconded.  He has two rings on his left leg.  That would also explain why he is not afraid of me when all the other pigeons fly off if I as much as raise my coffee to my mouth.




I have four, yes four, loads for the washing machine.  This means that I have enough ironing to last the qualifying and the race of the Japanese Grand Prix:




The weather has turned to winter.  It's cold and wet and windy.  In fact down in the Bay some men who went out in a boat this afternoon had considerable difficulty getting it back on to the bogey to get it out of the water.


 

4 comments:

  1. Like those boat pictures. How come you don't get rain spots all over your lens? I feel sorry for racing pigeons. Once lost they sort of hang around in limbo. Ironing what's that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that's your mountain or ironing and not mine. The little sparrow looks very sad but the pigeon looks content. It probably has a better life with you than it had before it absconded. The boat pics are neat, they tell their own little story, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, seeing those weather pictures, who can blame the birds (or you) for destering the place over the winter... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our weather is the same, lately...but no snow {thankfully}...yet.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.