1 EAGLETON NOTES: St Clements Church, Rodel

.

.

Wednesday 25 May 2011

St Clements Church, Rodel

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I would do another post on Rodel Church.  In fact I shall do several.  Here is the first: of the 1528 tomb of Alasdair Crotach MacLeod, 8th Chief of MacLeod.  I shall keep the text brief because there is lots of information on this important 15th century Isle of Harris landmark notably Wikipedia, Undiscovered Scotland (a complete misnomer in this case because Rodel Church is very discovered and essential visiting by any tourist on Harris) and Leverburgh.co.uk .

1528 tomb of Alasdair Crotach MacLeod, 8th Chief of MacLeod,
The Holy Trinity
An angel spreads insense from a censer
A Highland Galley under sail - part of the measure of a Chieftain's power

3 comments:

  1. I love the variety of colours and structure/texture in the first photo especially, but the details also. My favourite kind of touristing, visiting old places like this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that amazing??? Think of the days when this was made.
    A part of my backround as well. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible. I love the ancient history. These photos are wondrous. ;^) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.