1 EAGLETON NOTES: A Visit to Chester's Grosvenor Gallery

.

.

Tuesday 7 June 2011

A Visit to Chester's Grosvenor Gallery

CJ and I went to Chester today.   After parking in the City Centre multi-storey car park (I had to use my bank card to get out - I'm not used to these city prices) we found ourselves a superb coffee stop at the Tudor House Café in Lower Bridge Street, did our cross-word and set off for the Grosvenor Museum.  Our expectations were not that great so imagine our surprise when after several hours we pronounced ourselves very well pleased with the experience.

There was a lot for the dozens of school children who were there to do and see and it is clearly a very popular educational venue.  For me the art galleries were the most enjoyable although, oddly, I learned two things: that the Romans had quite ingenious locks and how to use an abacus with Roman numerals.  I had hoped to blog about the locks but I couldn't get decent photos so I shall store that away for another time.

I was fascinated to discover that Corncrakes (which are rare in the UK now although I can hear but never see them from the house in Eagleton) are smaller than I had imagined although the following photo doesn't give a good idea of their size (27 to 30 cm long):


Of the minerals on display I had never heard of Bornite which is also known as Peacock Ore because of its beautiful colour cause by copper content:


Our first encounter with 'fine' art was in the lecture theatre where, for me, the highlight was a huge (several metres high) oil painting: For God So Loved The World:



You have to stand on the opposite side of the lecture theatre to appreciate it though.

There was also a complete gallery devoted to the works of Louise Rayner (1832 to 1934) whose water colour with gouache pictures of Chester were exquisite.  I shall blog separately about them.

There was a gallery of works for sale and some of them were excellent too although the majority were not to my taste I confess.

I should also mention the Chester Silverware collection and the Victorian house although these were not of particular interest to me.

All in all a very worthwhile visit.

2 comments:

  1. An absolutely stunning painting. Look forward to hearing more on an abacus with Roman numerals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine that painting being very impressive full size.
    Your mentioning of the abacus reminds me that there was one in my grandparents house when I was a child. Hardly with Roman numerals though ;) and I don't think I ever learned to use it properly anyway. Haven't seen it for decades, but I guess it must still be in the house somewhere. Glad you enjoyed your visit to the museum!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.