1 EAGLETON NOTES: More Marmite

.

.

Tuesday 26 July 2011

More Marmite

Anyone who has followed my blogs will know that I love Marmite: that iconic spread that you either love or hate.  In fact I have probably blogged more about Marmite than I have blogged about pigeons.  Anyway when I was away at Helen and Ian's wedding I received a present from Mark and Bryony.  What?  This or should I say these:


I've been reading the cookbook and the tips and even though I am a big user of Marmite in my cooking I've been quite surprised by some of the obvious things that I've missed.  Perhaps I would never have thought of Marmite and watercress toasted soldiers to use with my boiled egg nor would I have put Marmite in my Roquefort, prawn and pear salad (and I'm not sure that I will even now).  I already put Marmite with my baked beans and in stocks.  However there is a whole new Marmite world about to open up:  chicken, avacado and Marmite mayo wraps here I come.

The Marmite Mug turned out to be the same size as the very large Marmite jars that I buy:


This will be absolutely great for drinking, well, yes, for drinking Marmite.  You could possibly use it for ordinary tea.  But green tea with lemon, coffee, hot chocolate and the like?  I think not.  I'm sure that anything sweet would automatically taste of Marmite. Hmmm.  No thanks.  But for Marmite - absolutely!

7 comments:

  1. I might imagine that Marmite is good in recipes, I mean...you can put lots of stuff together and make it taste good ;)

    Glad you like it, Graham....I couldn't believe what it tasted like when my friend had some. I was sure it was going to be the yummiest stuff and put a large dab on my finger....no, no, no...Heather didn't like it as much as her dear friend, Graham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so not cosmopolitan! I googled Marmite. It's a remnant of beer, but you spread it? How would you describe the taste, GB? I'm really curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am a fan and purchased a jar of the extra aged. I really couldn't tell the difference.
    Nice 'Mug Shot'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying to see how GB describes the taste - marmite is pretty unique. Spicy oxtail would be my best attempt.

    Mum always used to put Marmite in her soups and I still do. It really adds flavour to the vegetables.

    I agree about the mug - anything but Marmite in would automatically register as Marmite - what strange brains we have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drink Marmite? Seriously?? Using it in cooking I could imagine - if anything, I think the taste did remind me mostly of stock. Your post reminds me I still have a some left in that jar I got last year... How long does the stuff keep? ;) The curious thing is I never really did get round to quite deciding whether I loved it or hated it. (Better for me probably not to get addicted, since it's not available in our shops anyway!) It is indeed a taste that tends to 'take over', so I can understand why you'd not want to drink tea or chocolate from that mug... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked the present, we actually found each bit on separate occasions and both kept going "that would be perfect for GB!"

    DawnTreader, don't worry about it going off, I don't think Marmite ever really goes off. It might dry out a bit and become difficult to remove from the jar but it should still be fairly edible.

    I think even if you never drank Marmite from the mug, anything else may subconsiously taste of it anyway. It's strange how we can associate sights and sounds with specific smells and tastes. Everytime I hear the theme tune to Ski Sunday I can smell crumpets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea how to describe the taste of Marmite other than it is a strong sharp savoury salty sort of substance. It is much stronger than the New Zealand and Australian version and than Vegemite too. In theory it is spread very thinly on toast. I say, in theory, because both Gaz and I spread it on quite thickly. But as to taste there's very little else which comes near to it apart from Bovril. And if you have tasted Bovril you'll almost certainly have tasted Marmite anyway. So, sorry, not very helpful really.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.