1 EAGLETON NOTES: Thankful Thursday

.

.

Thursday 7 July 2011

Thankful Thursday

I'm going to be thankful in advance this morning.  In 40 minutes I will be without electricity for 8 hours.  I must remember to get the car out of the garage - electric door!  That means no music and no wifi.  Argh.  Even my landline phone relies on electricity (but I keep a spare old-fashioned one for such emergencies).  I'm hoping for a dry day so that I can get the car done and some work in the garden and perhaps even break some concrete for the new drain I'm having to put in.

Ever since the Christchurch earthquake I've been very aware of how much I (and most of us in the developed world) take for granted the services like electricity and other utilities.  Today for a mere 8 hours I will lack one of them.

So today I'm thankful for the things that make our life so much easier and which we take so for granted.  Today I'll not be complaining about the lack of power.  I'll be being thankful that it's just for 8 hours.

8 comments:

  1. After many days without power we really appreciate it these days... but now we have candles, gas hobs, a barbecue, a portable gas heater and a generator! It is losing our water we worry about now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were without all those things for two weeks the winter of an ice storm here in Indiana. grateful each day for these luxuries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give up Mr Grumpy..............took me three hours to get my gen set working. Not a good Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you got your power back according to schedule! With a bit of warning and knowing it's temporary one can usually cope... it's certainly worse when it strikes unexpecedly and one doesn't know how long it will last. We depend so much on electricity these days that even a short power cut can cause a lot of trouble. (Not everyone might remember such a thing as the garage door for example!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to keep a positive perspective on these things for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here, here! I don't give these things much thought until I'm inconvenienced. Hope your day went quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Typical Edwards - a spare old-fashioned phone for emergencies. You'll not be surprised to hear we have one in the kitchen. Whether I would remember it was there in an emergency is another matter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the same. I've got one by my bed that does not need electricity. I rarely use it though because I prefer the wireless one (which is stationed in the hall).

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.