1 EAGLETON NOTES: Thankful Thursday

.

.

Thursday 28 July 2011

Thankful Thursday

This morning I set about the task of filling my pill boxes which enable me to make sure that I take the appropriate medication that the medical profession deems appropriate to keep me on this mortal coil.  It's one of those irritating tasks but one that for a short while once every four weeks saves me time each day.  However it's rather like dishwashers: they save an enormous amount of time late at night after a dinner party but the task of emptying them has suddenly become a chore.  Whilst I was filling my pill boxes I was thinking about my Thankful Thursday post.  I had intended to do a post during the week but didn't make the time and by this morning I couldn't recall what it was.  Silly me.  Then it suddenly occurred to me how grateful I am for the medicine that has ensured that I have been able to live a trouble-free life since my heart attack 11 years ago.  This medicine is provided by a national health service free of charge.


So today I am thankful for the good health that I enjoy as a result of the doctors who have attended me, the drugs which have been developed which give me that good health and the system that provides them (at no direct cost!).

And PS I'm also thankful for the 'medicine' in the bottle at the back of the picture.  The docs say that in moderation red wine is beneficial to the heart.  Amen to that.

7 comments:

  1. Well I'll stop complaining about my once weekly chore of pill-refilling-the-daily-boxes. Here I thought I was being really put-upon by having to do this once a week and see you are able to do yours once a month...and I hope you realize how great it is to have 'free' access to these life saving/life enhancing drugs. By the time one reaches old age in this country one better be independently wealthy just to pay one's pharmacy bills.
    PS...didn't see the wine bottle, but agree a glass a day is good for your health and your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to this indeed.
    I haven't had a drink since my operation but am anticipating a large glass of red by Christmas or New Year. It will probably put me to sleep, but a blissful sleep at least!!! The medicinal benefits will be most enjoyable!! LOL
    Good health to you GB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill. Yes I truly appreciate the 'free' national health service in this country. Of course it's not entirely free in that we pay in our taxes etc but it does mean that I've not had to pay directly for my cancer treatment nor for my heart medication and when they come to replace my dicky knee that'll be 'free' too. When I was prescribed medication in New Zealand the pharmacy prescription slip tells you what you pay and what the actual cost is so it gives one a real sense of the reality.

    Hmmm Jaz I hadn't thought about that particular side effect of your op. I would miss my red wine I have to admit. That might be next week's TT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful that I'm allowed to have one small glass of wine...a week! I do look forward to it each weekend. My meds aren't free, but I'm thankful for reduced cost with my prescription insurance. And I'm especially grateful that I no longer need to take my pancreas enzyme med which cost $569 a month with no generic available and not covered by insurance. Whew! praise be for that!
    Have a grand weekend! Hope your temps are lower than our high 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that my days will most likely not be free from something or the other, but as of now...mine consist of ibuprofen mostly. That batch really does look like a chore to keep up with but one that really is worth doing. What a blessing to have your med's free of charge....a good place to be, Graham. Here, they're trying to take away many of the benefits that Senior's have paid for all of their lives to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do my 'sorting' once a week; I recognize the feelings. We have a high-cost protection system here with reduced costs + beyond a certain sum free prescription medicines for the remaining period of 12 months. (Then it starts over again.) There is a similar system for medical care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, brother! On many levels!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.