1 EAGLETON NOTES: Who Trusts Whom?

.

.

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Who Trusts Whom?

I'm writing this on a beautiful, warm, sunny morning on Lewis with sufficient breeze to keep the midges at bay.  You see.  It does happen occasionally!

I'm waiting for the plumber to come to instal the toilet etc in the mini-en-suite.  The family has been responsible for my house and business plumbing for the last 37 years.  That's quite a customer/provider partnership when you think about it.

Because it is such a beautiful day CJ and I are off to the far West side of the Island as soon as the plumber is here and under way.  It made me think, though, of a recent occasion when the BT (telephones) engineer came to work on the house and I needed to go out.  "That OK?  Do you need me?" I asked.  "Well we're not supposed to work in a house without the householder here but as I know you that'll be OK." was the response.  Er?  "Well some engineers have been accused of things you see."  Oh.  Right.  It hadn't really occurred to me that the world had altered so that those I invite into my house now have to trust me.  I'm sure it used to be the other way round.

Anyway I'm off to the other side of the Island as soon as the plumber's arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.