1 EAGLETON NOTES: All Gone

.

.

Sunday 19 August 2012

All Gone

When the children were little and they had finished their meal they would say proudly '"All gone."  For some silly reason I was reminded of that an hour or so ago when CJ and Jo left.  CJ's been here for about 5 weeks but we had time down in Exeter with his daughter-who-takes-photos and Son-in-law-and-Friend-who-loves-Otters before that.  So this afternoon the house seems very empty although it's  beautiful, sunny and midge-free so I have the doors and windows open and the noise of the birds and the waterfall into the pond are competing with Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony (and since I wrote that, Katie Melua) for my attention.   

It's been great having you CJ (and for a few days you, too, Jo).  Now I shall have to do the crosswords on my own again.  I shall have to think.  Arghhhh.

Byeee.
Now it's all systems go to sort out my trip with friends to Glasgow and Italy via France and Switzerland.  I leave after four sleeps.  What happens after our time in Italy I'm not sure but I'll be making my way back via friends and family and arriving back in Eagleton in time to leave about 5 weeks before I set off back to my New Zealand home.

I would say "Stop the world I want to get off" but I've learned that one has to be very careful for what one wishes. 

17 comments:

  1. When my mum fed us as kids, she would give us the last spoonful and say "All Gone!" I used those words with my daughter as well, and now with Brownie too when I'm done giving him his treats.
    The house will feel empty now that everyone has gone, and I feel the hint of sadness in your "Byeee". It will pass.
    Get busy planning for your upcoming trip, and you will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia, I now have three sleeps until I leave. The house did seem empty and there was a little bit of sadness but this morning I realise how much I have to do before I leave and how little time.

      Delete
  2. Oh GB, I feel for you. It's hard when family leave. But it sounds as though you have some great travels to look forward to. And blog-mates...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances. I do appreciate just how lucky I am.

      Delete
  3. Godspeed and safe journey, GB. I hope you will continue to post things about your interesting travels while you are away. Take care, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. I hope so too. The villa in Italy has wifi so that's a good start.

      Delete
  4. Hope you have a wonderful time in Italy/France/Switzerland (lucky you!), xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. I've never been to the Maldives though!

      Delete
  5. Only four sleeps until you go? Doesn't sound like you'll have much time for crosswords or aimless wandering through empty rooms in the next few days... I know what you mean though, it always feels strange at first when you've had good company for a while and then they leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only three sleeps now Monica and loads of washing and so on to keep me out of mischief before I go.

      Delete
  6. "All gone" is what my late husband used to tell our cat when on Sunday mornings he would finish feeding her a few bits of ham from the breakfast table, a routine she very much loved (interestingly enough, she would never look at me when we sat down for breakfast, knowing full well that all the delicious bits would be coming from Steve and not from me!).
    I have not heard anyone else say that since, and your post was a nostalgic reminder of the time when they were still both alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So long as it didn't make you sad Meike. These reminders can be mixed at times. Cat's are very knowing creatures. You've given me an idea for a post.

      Delete
  7. I love Aiden's "all gone" when he's finished his dinner and lifts his palms skyward as if to prove his hands are empty too. His attempts at saying 'finished" were truly comical.

    I don't like that 'all gone' feeling when family leave although these days I am such a besotted grandmother I cope pretty well unless it's the little grands leaving.

    Doesn't sound like you are going to have any time for mischief in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh our comments just crossed in the ether. I've just commented on your memory post. Leastways I think I remember that was what it was called. Perhaps not. My forgettory is really good these days.

      Delete
  8. I know that "too quiet" feeling after a great visit with loved ones. But the appreciation of that visit will be cherished for a long time to come, I think.
    Good though, that you're headed off on another adventure so soon. Will take your mind off of the empty house.
    Wishing you a wonderful trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Yes the annual visit is good for us both I think.

      Delete
  9. And now were home! Thanks again, GB. I'm already missing you and the Island (and the crosswords).

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.