1 EAGLETON NOTES: I May Be Gone Some Time

.

.

Saturday 3 November 2012

I May Be Gone Some Time

Hopefully unlike Captain Oates* I shall be back.  In fact I have so many posts in draft and idea form that I may even occasionally post here in my absence in NewZealand.  I've said that before though and time never seems to be sufficient and they will , for the most part, still be there and just as relevant in six months time.

So for the next six months I shall be posting regularly on A Hebridean in New Zealand.  I hope that you will join me there.

*Captain Lawrence Edward Grace ("Titus") Oates (17 March 1880 – 16 March 1912) was an English Antarctic explorer, known for the manner of his death, when he walked from a tent into a blizzard, with the words "I am just going outside and may be some time." His death is seen as an act of self-sacrifice when, aware his ill health was compromising his three companions' chances of survival, he chose certain death.

5 comments:

  1. No, you will not be a Captain Oates, but an Arnold Schwarzenegger, with his famous quote, "I'll be back!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I am following both your blogs, I won't miss any of your posts, no matter where you put them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Captain Oates certainly showed courage, substantial amounts, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 1960 at 13 in junior high school, I encountered that "I may be some time" quote for the firs time. Such a simple sentence, yet it made a huge impression on me, for the rest of my life -- thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Captain Oates' words are courageous; thanks for reminding me of this quote. I came over from Beyond the Lone Island after reading her review of The Blackhouse.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.